You have decided it is time to sell one of your biggest investments, your home. First get your realtor to assess the value of your property. Now its time to decide what you should do to get your home prepped to get the best price!
Some tips to give you the greatest return on your investment prior to selling:
- Repairs! It is time to address those items you have been neglecting.
- Paint will freshen up the interior and exterior. Keep the colour neutral throughout the home, adding a pop of colour to the front door.
- Kitchen updates could be as simple as replacing the counter, faucet and backsplash. Giving things a refreshed look for a small investment.
- Bathroom updates include counter, faucet. Ensure the shower and toilet are in working order. Invest in a great mirror to enhance the look.
- Curb appeal attracts buyers. Spruce up the landscaping and add a few pots making your entry welcoming.
Now the big decision, investing in hiring a home stager or do it yourself?
How we live in our homes and how we prep the property for resale are two different things. Dressing your home with furnishings and décor give the property the visual that most people need when viewing your house.
- Get a stager to provide you with a home consultation. The report (verbal or written) should include a listing of all repairs and updates. Recommended rooms to be staged and layout. Hiring the stager will be a great investment and less stressful for you.
- If the home is vacant, stage the 3 main rooms with furnishings and décor items. These essential rooms include: Living/dining room and master bedroom. When buyers walk through staging makes it easier to envision their belongings in the setting.
- Your stager will assist you with de-cluttering the right items.
- Staging rental fees for furniture and décor are normally for a monthly fee, ask your stager what their terms include.
- Check your home policy to ensure the rented items are included in your policy in case of damage, or lose of items. Each staging company differs, ask about their insurance coverage on the items they are renting.
- Some stager will have photos taken to promotional purposes. Ensure your realtor uses these photos to list your home for sale.
Remember paying a professional stager will ensure the property is staged to enhance the appeal of the home to your desired buyer for the best sale price. Good luck with the sale of your investment!
Contributor: Mary Gasbarrino
Instagram | Facebook
Mary Gasbarrino is the Home Curator for Decorate In Style Inc., a home design company in Niagara. Through her passion of decorating she started Decorate In Style Inc., to transform houses into homes through staging, re-design plans and in flipping. Her team of professionals collaborates with you to create a space to suit your lifestyle.