It’s almost time to make the transition to warmer, heartier foods in the spirit of fall, and we’re so ready for it. For as much as we love the bright, refreshing, and often water-filled foods of summer, we look forward to the traditions that holidays like Thanksgiving bring around – especially the carving of the turkey.
Over the next few weeks, we’ll be celebrating the launch of STYLE Canada’s IGTV channel with the Turkey Farmers of Canada who are helping us work quality, Canadian protein into school lunches, gourmet breakfasts, and leftover meals this year. In this series, you’ll find healthy, easy-to-make recipes with simple ingredients that you’re bound to have in the fridge, courtesy of our recipe developer, Cassandra Wardrope (otherwise known as @tomato_tomatoe).
Share your kitchen creations with us by tagging @style_canada and using the hashtag #ThinkTurkey on all social media.
Breakfast skillets are a quick and easy way to use a variety of crave-worthy ingredients like @canadianturkey bacon that can feed the whole family. This cast iron pan version features fresh vegetables and cheese, which will leave you feeling satisfied and fuelled for the day ahead.
Turkey Bacon Breakfast Skillet with Fried Eggs and Avocado
- 5 large potatoes, chopped
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped into large pieces
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 8-10 slices of turkey bacon, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Chop your potatoes into bite-sized square pieces and set them aside in a bowl. Chop the onion, red pepper and zucchini. Set them aside in another bowl.
- In a bowl with the potatoes, toss your vegetables with 3 tbsp of olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Heat a large cast iron pan on medium-high heat and add the remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil to the pan. Once the pan is hot, add the potatoes. Do not stir for 5-8 minutes.
- Stir the potatoes every 5-8 minutes to ensure they don’t brown too quickly. Cook until tender and golden brown (about 15-20 minutes). While the potatoes are cooking, preheat the oven to 425 degreess.
- Once the potatoes are tender and golden, add in your veggies. Turn the pan down to low-medium heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook the veggies for 6 minutes until they are almost cooked. Add your turkey bacon and cook for 10 minutes.
- Put the pan in the oven to crisp the bacon for 5 minutes, then remove it and make four shallow holes for your eggs to sit in. Crack four eggs into the pan and put it back in the oven for 6 minutes until the eggs are almost cooked. Add the cheddar cheese and pop the pan back in for 5 minuets.
- Once the eggs are fully cooked and the cheese is melted, remove the pan. Add basil, green onion and avocado. Serve and enjoy!
Last modified: September 17, 2020